Pages

Thursday 6 October 2011

The End of the Privilege Series

If you haven't read this series by Kate Brian yet, shut off your computer and run to the nearest copy to get the first installment. Do not read any further, as it includes spoilers.

Let's face it - Ariana's a psychotic, scheming, conniving psychopath. But wasn't there a little part of you that was kind of rooting for her throughout the series? I mean, you have to kind of feel sorry for her....Wait, do I hear myself? Am I actually saying that I felt sorry for someone who murdered, I don't know, like nine people? Kate Brian must be an insanely good writer for causing the readers to sympathize with a cold-blooded killer.

However, I lost my sympathy towards Ariana with the Lexa incident. This is...was her best friend we're talking about, and Ariana killed her without any hesitation. None. I didn't sense an ounce of remorse during that scene. She didn't even think about it; she just acted. What kind of sane person does that to their friend. It was at this time when I realized that Ariana had no control over her actions, and would continue to kill in the future. She was willing to murder her friend and ruin the lives of her friends and their families in order to keep living her "perfect" life. How selfish is that?

With the sudden appearance of Reed from the Private series, Ariana becomes crazed about ending Reed's life. She keeps chanting in her head "She must die...She must die...She must die..."  These are not the thoughts of a sane person in society. She has this crazy idea that all the lives lost - Thomas', Brigit's, Lexa's, and all the others - will finally be avenged with the death of Reed. Reed unleashed Kaitlynn into the world, and Reed was the one that killed all those people. Ariana even envisions Lexa - the girl she cruelly murdered- smiling down at her, being proud of and even approving of Ariana's plan to kill Reed. During this book, I finally become aware of how sick and twisted Ariana is, and how she needs to remain locked up in a mental asylum. Forget prison. There is something obviously not right with that girl's head.

All the luck that Ariana had in the previous installments seemed to finally disappear in this novel. First Reed shows up, then Palmer starts becoming suspicious of her. Then Dr. Meloni appears. I used to dislike the guy, but now I feel sorry for him - yet another unfortunate enough to cross paths with Ariana Osgood. Finally, Ariana's whole world unravels in a shocking conclusion.

Throughout the series, I was curious as to how Kate Brian would end it all. At first, I actually kind of hoped Ariana would be able to pull it off. Within the first chapter of Cruel Love, I changed my mind. After everything she did, Ariana didn't deserve to live the life she was living. She needed to finally grow up and take responsibility for her actions. Although I'm glad that Ariana didn't get away with all her crimes, I thought it would have been really interesting if Kate Brian let her live, and included the trial in the epilogue. It would have been cool if we could hear what Ariana's former friends now thought of her, and hear their testimonies.

Overall, this is an excellent series. If you haven't read it, check it out. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment